As a society driven by materialism and wealth, we often forget about those in need, perhaps in a faraway country or just next door, but we should fully embrace giving and helping others, no matter who they are, or who we think we are.
Giving to Charity
There are millions of charities across the world that cater for and help different people, whether it be helping those in conflicts, those caught in wars, or those with disabilities, or by providing food, clothing and other services to those in need.
Read about several charity success stories here.
Why Give to Charity?
We are currently experiencing a cost-of-living crisis, so helping others can be difficult, but it is more important now than ever before. In some cultures and religions, giving charity is a common practice. For example, in Islam, there is Zakat, which is a compulsory form of charity that every able Muslim must give once a year. Zakat is the giving of 2.5% of your wealth to charity to help those in need. Muslims also give Sadaqah, which is a voluntary form of charity and has no requirements for the amount that must be given.
Qurbani, the sacrificing of an animal to commemorate the sacrifice of Prophet Ibrahim (Abraham), is a common practice among Muslims. The meat is distributed between the person, their family and the poor, and by doing so, it ensures many people can be fed. There are many options for Qurbani in terms of what animal you want to sacrifice, and in what country, and these will differ in price.
Muslims give to charity to follow the practices and teachings of Prophet Muhammad, who said: “Give charity without delay, for it stands in the way of calamity.” (Al-Tirmidhi)
Benefits of Giving to Charity
- It makes you feel good. Helping others is a great way to improve your mood, as you are supporting them and can see the impact you’ve made. It is a means of feeling fulfilled.
- It strengthens communities. Charity work brings people together, all for the same cause. So, next time you want to raise money for charity, get your neighbors involved, get your friends to join in; and this can be a way to bring people together from different backgrounds, races, faiths and ages!
- You can make a huge difference to someone’s life. Either by donating to a charity or by simply buying a sandwich for a homeless person, you can help people near and far.
- Giving to charity sets an example for others to follow. If you want your friends, family or children to benefit society and help others around them, the best way to do it is to encourage them through your own actions!
- You can gift-aid your charity, which can make your donation larger, and therefore help more people!
Find out more about the benefits of giving to charity here.
Examples of How to Raise Money
There are so many options when it comes to choosing who to raise money for, as well as how to do it! You could raise for a national charity or help out local charities and food banks! Here are some examples of how to raise money for charity.
- Sponsored run or hike
- Charity car wash
- Organize a charity auction
- Charity dinner
- Bake sale
- Charity football match
- Non-uniform day
- Book sale
- Online crowdfunding – this is perhaps the most effective way to raise money! It is easy to set up and easy to use, and people can share your page and charity link, which will increase donations!