If you are tired of the usual Chinese New Year fares, consider these Peranakan cuisine inspired CNY delivery meal options from Chilli Api, the events catering arm of The Chilli Padi Group.
The Chilli Padi Group is an established Peranakan cuisine food services company in Singapore, tracing its origins to 1997 with the opening of Chilli Padi Nonya Restaurant in the Tiong Bahru residential district. From those modest beginnings, Chilli Padi’s operations have grown to include events catering (Chilli Api Catering), cafeteria management (Chilli Padi Nonya Catering) and dine-in restaurants (Chilli Padi Nonya Restaurant and Chilli Padi Nonya Café). The group was later acquired by ABR Holdings, the owner and operator of Swensen’s ice cream restaurants in Singapore.
What’s new this year is a vegetarian CNY mini buffet. The Bountiful Vegetarian Set ($238.80) features 8 dishes including yusheng and dessert. Each set feeds 5 to 7 guests comfortably.
All the items in this set contains no meat, eggs or alliums. Highlights include the sweet and tangy Kung Po Monkey Head Mushroom wok-fried with dried Szechuan chillies; Hong Shao Vegetarian Fish Soup boasting creamy hints of evaporated milk; and the Truffled Yam & Sweet Potato Gnocchi.
Before the pandemic, Chilli Api would serve its festive buffet to up to 6,000 guests each day over Chinese New Year. To cater for smaller gatherings this year, the buffet menus have been repackaged as mini buffets, with three options this year – the Bountiful Vegetarian Set ($238.80, serves 5 to 7 pax), Prosperity Set ($358.80, serves 8 to 10 pax), and Majestic Set ($388.80, serves 8 to 10 pax). The latter two sets are non-vegetarian.
All three sets are exclusively available for the first day (1 Feb) and second day (2 Feb) of CNY.
We sampled the Majestic Set for an early festive celebration and it was a delightful treat. The eight-course set included the following dishes:
- FESTIVE STARTER: Prosperity Yu Sheng With Sliced Abalone
- APPERTISER: Double Fortune Platter (D.I.Y Soy Brined Duck Sandwich Bun, Chicken Roulade With Chestnut & Mushroom Stuffing)
- MEAT DISH: Kepiting Bak Wan Goreng Served With Bibik’s Achar – Chicken-and-crab meatballs deep fried until golden brown, served with Chilli Api’s refreshing housemade vegetable pickles.
- SEAFOOD DISH: Seafood Beancurd Roll With Fishmaw Fatt Choy in Conpoy Sauce
- POULTRY: Baked Herbal Chicken With Wolfberries
- VEGETABLE DISH: Eight Treasure Luo Han Chye – A bounty of the day’s freshest vegetables, stir-fried with fragrant ginger slices.
- MAIN COURSE: Stir-fried Longevity Mee Sua With Shanghai Leek & Shredded Mushroom OR Truffle Japanese Pearl Fried Rice With Smoked Duck Bacon & Edamame
- DESSERT: Collagen Peach Resin Dessert Soup With Osmanthus, Snow Fungus & Honey Pear
The price is very reasonable for a CNY dinner, saving time and hassle for preparation. As catering is Chili Api’s expertise, the mini buffet comes professionally packed when delivered, with serving and reheating instructions to ensure you enjoy the food in a hygienic and safe manner, on top of it being fresh, delicious and piping hot upon delivery. Earlier last year, Chilli Api was awarded Best Caterer in RAS’s 2021 Epicurean Star Awards.
At this price point, Chili Api offers a very convenient and consistency assured catering option for stay-home CNY feasts.
Complimentary 2-Tier Tingkat Goodie Gift Set
To sweeten the festive celebrations, Chilli Api is including a complimentary 2-Tier Tingkat Goodie Gift Set with every order of a Bountiful Vegetarian Set, Prosperity Set or Majestic Set, while stocks last.
Each gorgeous eggshell blue tiffin carrier contains a surprise selection of Chilli Api’s freshly baked handmade cookies. Tuck into treasured traditional favourites such as Kueh Bangkit and Mini Golden Golf Ball Pineapple Tarts.