Ahead of the much-anticipated 4 July release of Stranger Things Season 3, Spotify looked at how the music from the show resonates with Spotify listeners. Since the popular series launched on July 15, 2016, listeners have spent more than 17 million hours of streaming music related to the show on Spotify. That’s equivalent to almost 2,000 years!
Fans have also created more than 3,500 Upside Down-themed playlists, listened to 4.6 thousand hours’ worth of Stranger Things podcasts and created playlists based on the show’s characters.
Top tracks on Stranger Things soundtracks and playlists on Spotify:
- “Should I Stay or Should I Go” – Remastered – The Clash
- “Stranger Things” – Kyle Dixon & Michael Stein
- “Every Breath You Take” – The Police
- “Africa” – Toto
- “Kids” – Kyle Dixon & Michael Stein
- “Time After Time” – Cyndi Lauper
- “Elegia” – New Order
- “Atmosphere” – Joy Division
- “Hazy Shade of Winter” – The Bangles
- “Whip It” – DEVO
The characters with the most user-generated playlists on Spotify, and the most-added track for each character:
- Eleven – “Should I Stay or Should I Go” by The Clash
- Steve Harrington – “Africa” by Toto
- Will Byers – “INTRO – Will singing the Clash” dialogue by Will Byers
- Billy Hargrove – “Rock you like a Hurricane” by Scorpions
- Jonathan Byers – “Should I Stay or Should I Go” by The Clash
- Nancy Wheeler – “Girls Just Want to Have Fun” by Cyndi Lauper
- Jim Hopper – “Coffee and Contemplation” dialogue by Jim Hopper
- Joyce Byers – “Maybe I’m Crazy” dialogue by Joyce Byers
- Max Mayfield – “California Dreamin’” by The Mamas & The Papas
- Dustin Henderson – “Whip It” by DEVO
The top 5 Stranger Things-themed podcasts globally:
- The Stranger Things Podcast by Addi and Darrell Darnell
- Stranger Danger – A Stranger Things Podcast by Fans not Experts
- Dungeons and Demogorgons – A Stranger Things Podcast by Bald Move
- Stranger Things Reviews and After Show by AfterBuzz TV
- UNspoiled! Stranger Things by UNspoiled! Network
Here are some other fun stats:
- Listeners have created their own playlists based on the show’s characters, and Eleven has the most playlists, followed by Steve Harrington and Will Byers.
- Listeners have created more than 3,500 playlists titled “The Upside Down” with the top tracks in these being the eerie score track “The Upside Down” from composers Kyle Dixon and Michael Stein, as well as the instantly-recognizable “Stranger Things” theme track.
- On Spotify, 15 Stranger Things-themed podcasts and listeners have spent more than 4.6 thousand hours listening to them. The most-streamed podcast related to the show is The Stranger Things Podcast by Addi and Darrell Darnell.
- The Clash’s “Should I Stay or Should I Go” played a central role in Season 1 and it shows a global stream of the song go up 30% in the two weeks after Stranger Things premiered on 15 July 2016 compared to the two weeks before.