To be able to spend and save at the same time is an oxymoron, but it is true with The Entertainer – a coupon book packed full of 1-for-1 deals and other offers with little or no catch at all. The book is packed with up to S$70,000 worth of savings in coupons and these are valid for use in an entire year.
This concept is relatively new in Singapore and I was apprehensive at first when their PR approached me to try out the book. It catches on quickly after I got the hang of it though.
I have been using coupons from the book for almost a month now and have been spending and saving quite a fair bit, particularly for dining.
In fact, I tore out a stack of coupons and carry them with me daily, not wanting to miss out any opportunity to enjoy a great deal!
Here is a summary of some of my recorded expenses:
|Venue||Pax||Bill (S$)||Saving (S$)||Coupon Used|
|Lunch at The Marmalade Pantry @ Stables||4 pax||61.2||61.2||2 x 1-for-1 main course|
|Dinner at Canopy||4 pax||100.05||100.05||2 x 1-for-1 main course|
|Dinner at The Tasting Room||2 pax||25.8||25.8||1 x 1-for-1 main course|
|Dinner at Pizzeria L’Operetta||2 pax||30.6||30.6||1 x 1-for-1 main course|
|Dinner at Spruce||4 pax||68.27||68.27||2 x 1-for-1 main course|
|Snack at Saybons||2 pax||3.9||3.9||1 x 1-for-1 main course|
|Lunch at Old Hong Kong Kitchen||2 pax||32.8||5.5||1 x 1-for-1 main course|
|Lunch at Old Hong Kong Teahouse||2 pax||24||24||1 x 1-for-1 main course|
I spent a total of S$346.62 dining, but at the same time, saved S$258.12!
The amount I saved in a month is already more than twice the price of the book! I feel good sharing the coupon with my parents and my friends, letting them enjoy the deals when we dine together.
Here are some photo evidence of the meals I enjoyed using The Entertainer:
Here are some tips I have on using the coupons and getting the best deals out of The Entertainer:
- Buy the book early in the year. The earlier you buy, the longer you can use the coupons as each edition is published and renewed with new coupons annually.
- Call to make reservation as well as check that the restaurant/shop honours the coupon before heading now as not all service staff may be familiar with The Entertainer.
- For the 1-f0r-1 dining deals, the lower cost item is free. Hence go for items that are closely priced to get the best deal.
- Be careful when using two or more dining coupons. The cheapest items are the free ones. For instance, if you and your wife are visiting a restaurant with your friend and his wife, using two coupons, you may mistakenly assume that the cheaper item you or your wife ordered is free. This is incorrect. If the the items that your friend and his wife ordered are cheaper, those two will be free and your friend will end up paying more for your share.
That’s it! There is no hidden catch at all.
If you are comfortable with the above and will like to start defraying some of your dining, travel and lifestyle expenses. Do visit The Entertainer’s official website to learn more or even purchase the book directly.
Some additional facts on The Entertainer:
· The Entertainer was founded in 2001 by Founder and CEO, Donna Bennet in Dubai
· The Entertainer books provide ‘buy one get one free’ incentive vouchers from well-known merchants across Middle East, Africa, Europe and Asia
· It provides consumers with over 660 ‘one for one’ vouchers for some of the best restaurants, cafes, nightspots, attractions, spas and beauty and hotel accommodation
· The Entertainer books bring together incentive vouchers from over 4,000 merchants, distributing their offers across 21 books in 14 destinations
· Singapore is the first Asia market to start distributing the Entertainer book
Alvin is a marketer by day and blogger by night. He is a 100% geek who spends too much time surfing the web.