In an exciting development for the world of photography, the World Photography Organisation is thrilled to introduce Monica Allende as the new Chair of the Professional Competition jury for the upcoming Sony World Photography Awards 2024. This announcement coincides with the unveiling of the esteemed panel of judges for the 2024 awards edition and the eagerly awaited exhibition dates.
Celebrating 17 Years of Excellence
The Sony World Photography Awards, now in their 17th year, stand as one of the globe’s largest and most prestigious photography competitions. This annual event celebrates contemporary photography from around the world, providing photographers with invaluable international exposure and career-building opportunities.
A Commitment to Photographic Culture
Sony’s unwavering support for the Awards underscores its dedication to fostering the growth of photographic culture. Entry to the competition remains entirely free, and photographers are assessed anonymously by a distinguished panel of industry-leading judges.
Meet the 2024 Judges:
- Monica Allende (Chair of the Jury): Independent Curator and Photography Consultant, renowned for her roles as Artistic Director at Landskrona Foto Festival and GetxoPhoto International Image Festival, as well as her previous tenure as Photo Editor at the Sunday Times Magazine.
Professional Competition Judges:
- Elena Navarro: Photo Curator, Producer, and Consultant (Mexico)
- Mutsuko Ota: Editorial Director, IMA Magazine (Japan)
- Elisabeth Sherman: Senior Curator, Direction of Exhibitions and Collections, International Center of Photography (ICP) (United States)
- Tanzim Wahab: Curator, Spore Initiative (Germany) and Festival Director, Chobi Mela (Bangladesh)
Open and Youth Competitions Judges:
- Daniel Blochwitz: Curator, Foto Festival Lenzburg (Switzerland)
Student Competition Judge:
- Ravi Ghosh: Deputy Editor, British Journal of Photography (UK)
2024 Exhibition Dates and 2023 International Tour
The Sony World Photography Awards exhibition will grace Somerset House, London, from 19 April to 6 May 2024. After London, the exhibition will embark on an international tour, with stops in Tokyo, Ho Chi Minh City, Milan, and finally Berlin, where it will be on view at the Willy-Brandt-Haus from 17 November 2023 to 28 January 2024.
2024 Prizes and Deadlines
The 2023 edition of the Sony World Photography Awards opened for submissions on 1 June 2023. Photographers have until the following deadlines to submit their entries:
- Professional: 12 January 2024, 13:00 GMT
- Open: 5 January 2024, 13:00 GMT
- Student: 30 November 2023, 13:00 GMT
- Youth: 5 January 2024, 13:00 GMT
Winners across all categories will receive digital imaging equipment from Sony. The Photographer of the Year will be awarded a substantial cash prize of $25,000 (USD), while the Open Photographer of the Year and the winner of the Sustainability Prize will each receive $5,000 (USD). The Photographer of the Year will also enjoy the privilege of a solo presentation of their work as part of the Sony World Photography London exhibition the following year. All winning and shortlisted photographers will have their works exhibited at the annual Sony World Photography Awards exhibition in London and on an international tour, and their winning images will be featured in the annual Awards’ book.
The 2024 Sony World Photography Awards promise to be a celebration of talent, creativity, and the art of photography on a global stage. Photographers, both seasoned and emerging, are invited to submit their work and become a part of this incredible photographic journey.
Top of Form