Earlier this year, global toy brand Mattel announced its celebration to mark the 50th anniversary of UNO worldwide! This month, the campaign officially commences in Singapore to celebrate UNO, one of the best-known card games around the globe.
Conceived in 1971 in a barbershop in Cincinnati, Ohio, the iconic card game was created as a way for families to spend time together, and quickly became a household staple. Five decades later, UNO, now available in over 80 countries and with 17 decks sold every minute, has grown into a global sensation that offers fans of all ages a variety of innovative card-based and digital games.
“For 50 years, UNO has brought people together by transcending language, culture and age through gameplay. Combining the brand’s roots of inclusivity and simplicity, the passionate global fan base, and unprecedented momentum, UNO’s 50th anniversary is a yearlong celebration of the brand’s past, present and future.” Shared Ray Adler, Global Head of Mattel Games.
The brand is celebrating 50 years of bringing people around the world together through a series of commemorative products and new ways to play.
This year, UNO has released one of the brand’s largest product lines offering new twists on gameplay, with products available for purchase beginning this month.
- UNO 50th Anniversary Premium Card Set: This premium item is the official celebratory product and collector item for the 50th anniversary, available exclusively at all Toys ‘R’ Us stores from 12 July. Contained in deluxe-box packaging is an exclusive gold coin commemorating the 50th anniversary, the set also features a special “50/50” card and rule, which incorporates the coin into gameplay.
- UNO 50th Anniversary Card Deck: The celebration continues with the UNO 50th Anniversary Card Deck, which has “gold” wild cards to commemorate the special anniversary.
- UNO Iconic Series: Starting with the groovy 1970s, the UNO Iconic Series will include five individual decks honouring the last five decades, featuring nostalgic designs that represent each period.
- UNO Remix: UNO Remix is the first UNO game that evolves with every hand you play. It plays like classic UNO, but at the start of each round, you’ll add special remix cards to the deck that change the game. When it’s all over, you’ll have created a customized UNO deck unique to you.
- UNO Attack: Since 1998, UNO Attack has been a fan favourite, and an all-new updated version of the beloved card-launching extension brings added action with lights, new sounds, and cards that fly even higher.
To mark the moment, all 2021 new products will feature the new UNO 50th anniversary look, including a new logo and new tagline – Fifty Years of Being Wild.
UNO CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES
Starting on 2 July, join us in celebrating 50 years of being wild as the UNO brand marks its 50th anniversary. UNO will be hosting the inaugural UNO Championship Series, a series of events and promotions where one player will ultimately be crowned as the first-ever UNO World Champion.
The UNO Championship Series will bring together fans from around the world to participate in the global UNO Mobile Tournament through the UNO! app. UNO fans who are 18 years old and above will be eligible to take part through the UNO! app by Mattel 163, available for download on the App Store and Google Play. To officially enter the tournament, players can click on the “UNO Championship Series: Mobile Tournament” card in the lobby to enter and play in the tournament when they are on the app.
To make things even more exciting, select participants of the UNO Mobile Tournament may be invited to Las Vegas, NV, for the UNO Championship Series Invitational Tournament, an in-person celebratory event taking place on 11 November, for a chance to win the grand prize of USD$50,000.To learn more about the UNO Championship Series, visit the UNO website.
Fans of the popular card game can join in the celebrations for the golden anniversary with exclusive 50th Anniversary gift-with-purchase offers.
UNO 50th Premium Box
Perfect for collectors and UNO enthusiasts, this sleek and portable UNO box allows you to store your UNO decks and bring them along for a party with friends and family. Simply spend a minimum of $50 on any Mattel Game to redeem a limited-edition UNO Box (Premium), available at Takashimaya, all Toys ‘R’ Us stores, Mattel Official Shopee Mall and Lazada Mall websites, while stocks last.
UNO 50th WILD Card
Ever dreamt of coming up with your own rules for the game? With these UNO Blank Wild Cards, you can add a personal touch to the game with your very own wild card. Customers can redeem an UNO Blank Wild Card with a minimum spend of $30 on any Mattel Game at OG, Popular Bookstores, Kiddy Palace and Isetan, while stocks last.