If the title made any sense to you, you must be a parent to a child who is a massive NEXO Knights fan, just like mine. Or, you could very well be one yourself! Every day, Asher, who is turning five in August, asks me: “Which NEXO Knight do you want to be?” After which, he will make believe that we have to fight Jestro and his monsters.
Should your child also fantasise about being one of the Nexo Knights, his or her dream can come true this June holiday. LEGO Singapore has set up an arena at VivoCity Court B where kids aged five to 14 years old can join the NEXO Knights on a quest which transports you right to the heart of the evil Jestro’s Volcano Lair, and rescue fellow knight Clay Moorington!
You can tell that the LEGO people are very serious about fun when participants have to register for a time slot to enter the arena to play. The “quest” will see each participant go through a total of four stations, where staff are on hand to guide the kiddos to complete the interactive activities to earn their sticker. Once all five stickers are collected, the participant will earn the right to build his or her own shield with LEGO Classic Bricks and bring it home. (This is the only LEGO-building part of the free event.)
And the best part? Said participants gets a Certificate of Honour, which has two event exclusive scannable shields on it! Broccoli Tornado is exclusive to this VivoCity event and Raptor Bite is exclusive to Toys”R”Us. Don’t know what I am talking about? You need to download the Merlok 2.0 app game on your smart device. Be warned though; shield-collecting can be addictive (and costly).
Asher was thrilled to live his ultimate dream fantasy for half an hour. Here he is going through each of the five stations.
1. NEXO Knights Virtual Training 101 – First, the knight has to undergo training by Merlok. Through these goggles, Merlok will teach aspiring knights the rad skills needed to defeat the Lava Monsters.
2. Battle the Lava Monsters – So you’ve learned your kungfu from Merlok ya? Time to put those skills to use Wii style. Don’t worry, no matter how badly you suck, you won’t be defeated, and you will win.
3. Scout Jestro’s Castle Maze – Navigate your way out of a miniature maze constructed with Classic LEGO bricks.
4. Power Up with Merlok – Then it’s time to eradicate some more evil on the Merlok 2.0 app.
5. Volcano Lava Battle – Bad monsters will trickle down a “volcano” in the form of balls. Catch as many as you can!
By the way, parents will be psyched to know that you’re not welcome inside the arena and will be asked to leave your charges (they admit three or four at a time) with the trusty LEGO Singapore staff while you enjoy a kid-free half-hour.
You’ll also get meet NEXO Knights Clay and Lance (clad in mascot costumes). On weekdays, they make an appearance at 5 pm and continue to rove until 7 pm, and on weekends, they make an appearance at 12 noon and continue to rove until 2 pm, then at 5 pm again until 7 pm.
There’s also a large range of NEXO Knights items for sale at the event (but of course) and while there aren’t discounts, you get to build an exclusive LEGO NEXO Knights Shield Dock with any $30 purchase.
Power up to become a NEXO Knights Hero at VivoCity this June Holidays!
Where: VivoCity, Court B
When: June 1 to 19
Roving mascots: 5 pm to 7 pm on weekdays; 12 noon to 2 pm and 5 pm to 7 pm on weekends