The World Gourmet Awards 2021 is here and it’s time for the next generation of culinary talent to step up. Their 21st edition took place with the theme ‘Remastered’, which celebrates both the past winners as well as future generations who are ready to make their mark on this industry.
Some of these awards received include the Lifetime Achievements, the USA Rice Federation Chef Mentor / Apprentice of the Year as well as addition of new members to their coveted Hall of Fame.
USA Rice Federation
Chef Mentor of the Year – Chef Benton Toh
This award seeks to recognise an individual whose significant contributions over a minimum span of 10 years have led to the promotion and growth of excellence within the Chef profession. This individual is a visionary who has constantly strived for higher standards and contributed efforts to influence the development of the Chef profession.
Chef Apprentice of the Year – Tan Si Ying, Joyce
This award seeks to recognise a student who is new in the industry, excels in their culinary studies and is eager to put their studies to practice. To determine this, a competition was created to crown the winner.
Lifetime Achievement Award
To recognise two individuals whose significant contributions over a minimum span of 15 years have led to the promotion and growth of excellence within the Food & Beverage industry.
- MEIKO GREEN Waste Solutions Green Initiative Award – Spa Esprit Group
- Q Industries Green Initiative Award (Individual) – Oliver Truesdale Jutras
- Electrolux Professional Asian Cuisine Chef of the Year – Chef Cheung Siu Kong
- Chope Asian Cuisine Restaurant of the Year – Mott 32 Singapore
- AllSpice Institute Baker of the Year – Chef Go Wei Yen
- Faema Café of the Year – Forty Hands East Coast
- Winterhalter Caterer of the Year – The Ritz-Carlton
- MKN Chef of the Year (Female) – – Johanne Siy
- MKN Chef of the Year (Male) – Stephane Istel
- Indoguna Singapore Corporate Chef of the Year – Lucas Glanville
- Halton Executive Chef of the Year – Massimo Pasquarelli
- Q Industries Food & Beverage Manager of the Year – Stella Chung
- Cuisine & Wine Asia Gourmet Distributor of the Year – Angliss Singapore
- California Ripe Olives Gourmet Retailer of the Year – Huber’s Butchery
- Marrone Hospitality Institution of the Year – The Culinary Institute of America
- USA Cheese Guild Innovative Chef of the Year – Lee Boon Seng
- Q Industries Junior Chef of the Year (Male) – Leong Wei Ming
- Q Industries Junior Chef of the Year (Female) – Denise Tsi
- The Borders Distillery Mixologist of the Year – Remz Ocampo
- California Ripe Olives New Restaurant of the Year – Tuga
- California Wine New World Wine List of the Year – La Terre
- Cuisine & Wine Asia Old World Wine List of the Year – La Terre
- California Raisins Pastry Chef of the Year – Nicolas Vergnole
- Foodservice Consultants Singapore Restaurant Design of the Year – KOMA Singapore
- Luzerne Restaurant Manager of the Year – Catalin Firanescu
- Huber’s Butchery Restaurant of the Year – Monti
- Angliss Singapore Restaurateur of the Year – Anthony Wong
- Welbilt Rising Chef of the Year (Female) – Yvette Lin
- Welbilt Rising Chef of the Year (Male) – Ivan Wong
- California Wine Sommelier of the Year – Alvin Neo
- Wolf + Wald Specialist Bar of the Year – Spago Bar & Lounge
- Hall of Fame – Purple Sage Group, Mezza9, and Hua Ting Restaurant
Due to COVID-19 restrictions, this year’s signature event has been changed to a hybrid event incorporating both online and physical elements.
Their online format took place between 17 – 19 May 2021 (3 PM) on Facebook Live. However, their physical trophy presentation ceremony will be postponed to a later date, upon updates from the government on the restrictions being lifted.