Facebook launches Facebook Dating in Singapore – Discover potential matches within your own communities
Facebook launches Facebook Dating to 19 countries, including Singapore, making it easier for people to meet and start conversations with others who share the same interests, all in a safe, easy and controllable way. Facebook Dating is a dedicated feature within the Facebook app, designed to give people full control of their experience that lets people match with others based on their preferences and interests.
How does Facebook Dating work?
You can choose to opt-in to Facebook Dating by first making sure you have downloaded the most recent version of Facebook and then creating a profile (that is separate from your main Facebook profile). You will see suggested matches who have also opted in. These matches are based on your preferences, interests, and things you do on Facebook. You can explore their profiles and decide if you are interested or not. You can choose to message someone you are interested in and start a conversation directly on Facebook Dating, without having to leave the experience.
Secret Crush – Match with people you’re already familiar with
Along with the launch, Facebook Dating also introduces “Secret Crush”. You can opt-in to discover potential matches within your own Facebook communities: events, groups, friends of friends, and more. For many of us, our friend list is comprised of more than just our close friends. People have told us that they believe there is an opportunity to explore potential romantic relationships within their own extended circle of friends.
Some key features of Facebook Dating include:
- A separate profile on Facebook: Facebook Dating is a dedicated space within the Facebook app. The platform does not share your dating activity to your Facebook Profile, or anyone else’s.
- Match with people based on things in common: You see suggested matches based on your preferences, interests, and things you do on Facebook, helping you connect with people you might have things in common with.
- You manage who can see your Dating profile: Inside Dating, only your suggested matches and those to whom you are suggested to can see your dating profile. Your current Facebook friends and anyone you blocked on Facebook will not be suggested to you unless you opt into this feature.
- Choose to opt into Events and Groups to see other “daters” (who have also opted in): You can choose to see other people who are using Facebook Dating that fit your preferences within Events and Groups. When you choose to see these people, you will also be visible to them.
- Enhanced privacy controls. You have the ability to include or hide friends of friends in your pool of suggested matches. You can also report or block someone if at any point you feel uncomfortable.
Charmaine Hung, Technical Program Manager for Facebook Dating stated, “Currently, there are more than 200 million people who have listed themselves as single in their relationship status on Facebook. Many of them already use Facebook to start meaningful relationships. We view this as an incredible opportunity to connect people should they choose to explore meaningful romantic relationships.
“According to a YouGov survey, a third of Singaporeans have used internet dating, with 55% of Singaporeans know at least one couple who have met online. We are excited to offer them new ways of doing so via the platform.”